chat loading...

Disability Support & Advice

Disability Support & Advice

Explore the frequently asked questions below to learn more about the services available to you. If you're unable to find the information you need, contact us and we'll ensure your query is directed to the relevant service.

If you are eligible for DSA, you will get a 'go-ahead' (DSA1) letter from your Student Funding body two to four weeks after applying for DSA. This letter will tell you to book a Study Needs Assessment. The letter will explain how to find a Needs Assessor near you. The closest Needs Assessment Centre to the University is Contact Associates based in the Exchange Building, Penryn.

This is funded by the DSA (no charge to you). You will need to provide a copy of your evidence and DSA1 letter when you book. A Needs Assessment is an informal discussion about how best to support you on your course. It may cover equipment, software and 1:1 support.

Your Needs Assessor will write a report with details of the recommended support. This will be sent to you and your Student Funding body, who will then send you a Letter of Entitlement (DSA2) confirming the support. (Please see our other FAQs on setting up your support and ordering your specialist equipment.)

We advise and support students with disabilities, health conditions and specific learning differences, such as dyslexia. Our aim is for all students to feel equally valued and included.

Find out more about what we do.

An ILP (Individual Learning Plan) is a list of recommended adjustments that is shared with your course team to ‘level the playing field’. In other words, to make sure you’re not disadvantaged due to your condition. Examples may include: extension consideration, lecture slides in advance or extra times in exams. An Accessibility adviser will look at your evidence and agree them with you first. Your course team will only see the adjustments and not details of your condition.

If you have a disability or long term health condition, you may be able to apply for an extension. Please see your ILP (Individual Learning Plan) which will confirm whether extensions are part of your reasonable adjustments. In some cases, you may be able to claim extenuating circumstances. Accessibility can tell you more about this.

We can support you best if we know about your condition. This is particularly important in the event of a medical emergency. We will also work with you to create an ILP (Individual Learning Plan) which guides lecturers in putting in place reasonable adjustments on your course and in exams. 

We use the word ‘disability’ to cover a wide range of conditions such as:  long-term health conditions (including physical, sensory and mental health) as well as specific learning differences, such as dyslexia.

There are many drop-ins, workshops and free apps for all students. For full details, see Free Support.

Not found the information you need? Contact us.