chat loading...

Personal Life & Relationships

Personal Life & Relationships

Explore the frequently asked questions below to learn more about the services available to you. If you're unable to find the information you need, contact us and we'll ensure your query is directed to the relevant service.

In order to access Wellbeing support we ask all students who approach Student Services for an appointment to complete a secure, confidential form to allow us to assess your needs.

Please visit Compass Online and follow the instructions below to access the Wellbeing Appointment Form.

1. Use your university username and password to login to the Compass Online portal.

2. Select ‘Log New Enquiries’ under the Enquiries section of the menu on the left of the screen.

3. Select ‘Wellbeing Appointment Form’ from the category menu (you can use the filter to narrow your search).

4. Complete the form with as much detail as possible and click send.

Please note that the more information you provide, the better we can identify the most appropriate support.

Once you have submitted this, a member of our team will be in touch within three working days* to discuss options for your support, based on your current concerns. Please note that this may be longer at peak times.

If your concerns need more immediate attention, please visit: Need Help Now.


If you have been a victim of sexual assault and/or rape, we are here to help you. Please talk to a professional who can support you and provide the appropriate help and advice.


You can report directly to the police by calling 101 or 999. You may also want to talk to your G.P.


If you are not sure who to talk with or if you are unsure or do not want to report it to the Police. Please contact the Willow Centre


The Willow Centre is a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) in Truro, Cornwall. The Willow Centre supports male and female victims of all forms of sexual assault and violence including rape, sexual assault, domestic sexual violence, childhood or historic abuse, sexual exploitation, sexual harassment, female genital mutilation and ritual abuse. Their expert team of highly trained staff work across Cornwall supporting victims of sexual assault.


If you have been assaulted within the last 10 days, The Willow Centre, can explain all procedures to you and help you to make an informed choice about your care. Please be mindful there is a forensic window whereby physical evidence can only be gained within a certain time frame after a sexual assault or rape. The Willow Centre can talk you through this if you want to know more and if you make the choice to have a physical examination.


The Willow Centre supports males and females, from the age of 13 years with a forensic service, crisis support and an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) Service. You can also contact The Willow Centre for support and advice around historic abuse also.


Sexual assault and rape can happen to anyone at any age. You can expect to be believed and be treated with dignity and respect.

You can also speak to the Living Support Team who can advise and provide additional support through Student Services.

We aim to provide a environment where all students and staff are treated with dignity and respect to provide an environment where harassment, bullying and victimisation are unacceptable.
Bullying & Harassment?

Bully and harassment may occur on a single occasion, but it is more likely to be sporadic or constant. Such behaviour can take a variety of forms including physical contact or verbal, written and electronic communication, Cyber bullying on social media. Bullying is offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, which has the intent or effect of making a person feel threatened, upset, humiliated or vulnerable.


Harassment is unacceptable conduct affecting the dignity of staff in the workplace that has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, humiliating or offensive environment for that individual. It may be related to age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, race, religion or non-belief, sexual orientation, nationality or any personal characteristic of the individual. Harassment and bullying both involve behaviour which undermines, humiliates, denigrates or injures the recipient

Harassment is always linked to anti-discrimination laws: in the UK this means it is linked to one of the Protected Characteristics under the Equality Act 2010. Harassment may be a single incident or a series of incidents.


Bullying is repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect and by one or more persons which undermines an individual’s right to dignity.

It is not the intention of the perpetrator that is key in deciding if bullying and harassment has occurred, but whether the behaviour is unacceptable and unwelcome by the individual(s) subjected to it.

If you feel that you are a victim of Harassment or bullying please speak out.

You can contact the police direct by calling 101 or 999

Please log an enquiry through Compass and a member of the Living Support Team will be in touch.

Options in dealing with harassment and bullying can include: reporting it to the police; making a complaint to your University and restorative justice.

If you just need a safe space to talk, we have a service called Time to Talk that you can access. The types of things people use our Time to Talk service for are to talk about home sickness, relationship break ups, problems with house mates and feeling stressed with course work or exams.

Further information about the time to talk service can be found here.

In order to get the most out of the Time to Talk Skype session we would suggest that you use a quiet, comfortable place with good internet connection.

The staff member will be based in a confidential environment and available for you to call for the first 15 minutes of the session. The session will last up to 45 minutes. If you don't get make contact during this time, we will assume you are unable to make the appointment.

To connect the Skype call, please search for the following Skype username/ address at the start of the session: Compass Advisor.

The Time Talk service is for students who do not need specialist (e.g. psychological) support such as counselling but would benefit from a structured opportunity to talk to someone and to have a safe space to do this. The types of things people use our Time to Talk service for are to talk about homesickness, relationship break ups, problems with house mates and feeling stressed with course work or exams.

To book a Time to Talk session, You will first need to log on to our Compass Online system. To do this:

1. Click on the following link:
2. When you reach the log in screen, you will need to enter your user name and password (these are the same as your University account).
3. When you have logged in, select 'Book Appointment' from the available options.
4. Select ‘Time to Talk’ from the drop down category list.
5. Search for available appointments – you can choose appointments for today, the next week or the next month.
6. You will be presented with a list of available appointments showing time, date and location – select ‘book’ for the appointment you wish to book.
7. You will receive an email confirmation of the appointment to your university email account.
8. To review or edit your appointment – select ‘My Appointments’ at the top of the screen.

If you have any problems booking on to a Time to Talk session, please contact the Compass team on: 01326 370460 or

Please be aware the Time to Talk appointments are available as single sessions and should therefore not be used for regular or repeat bookings. 

The time to talk service is provided by a range of Student Service’s staff. This includes members of the Compass and Multifaith Chaplaincy teams.

Sessions are available between 9-5, Monday to Friday.

Sessions take place at both our Penryn and Falmouth campuses and are located within the Exchange or Chaplaincy buildings. Sessions via Skype are also available for those students not on campus.

When you book on for your appointment, the location for the appointments will be displayed against the available options.

If you’ve been a victim of crime, you’ll need to decide whether or not to tell the police. It's okay to feel unsure about this or worry about what will happen if you do.

There are positive reasons for reporting a crime. Remember that the police deal with all sorts of crime every day; they should treat everybody fairly and equally, and put your safety first. If you do decide to report a crime to the police then you’ll automatically be put in touch with Victim Support:

Alternatively you can discuss your concerns with the Living Support team, who can discuss the options to you. They can also arrange for you to meet the police on campus if you would like this.

Police emergencies: call 999.

For non-emergencies call 101.

Victim of sexual violence: You can contact the Willow Centre to report an incident and get help. They are an independent sexual violence advocacy service in Cornwall for practical and emotional support between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Call 01209 203969, email or visit their website . • If outside of 9am-5pm please call 999.

Victim of domestic abuse: If you are in danger now call 999. • REACH offers advice, support and then a referral to the appropriate services for all victims and survivors of domestic violence and abuse living in Cornwall. They are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday on 0300 777 4 777 • Cornwall Women’s Refuge Trust (CWRT) call 01872 225629 any time • Women’s Aid National 24 hour helpline 0808 200 024 • Men’s Advice Line 0808 801 0327

Noise nuisance / disturbance: Call Environmental Protection on 0300 1234 212 or email • Call the antisocial behaviour team on 0300 1234 232 or email

Stalking / harassment:If you are at immediate risk call 999 • National Stalking Helpline – call 0808 802 0300 between 9:30am – 4pm Monday to Friday (except Wednesdays when it opens 1pm – 4pm). Alternatively email them at

If you are unable to find an answer to your query in our frequently asked questions please log an enquiry on Compass by clicking the log enquiry button above and one of our advisors will respond to your query.

Not found the information you need? Contact us.